Wednesday, April 20, 2011

West Highland Terrier (Westie)

The westie is a little on the small and girly side, but I wanted to give it a chance. He's pretty fluffy and has almost a whispy mustache. They also always seem to be smiling. Maybe that's just their look, or maybe they're just always having fun.


Westie - Getting into shenanigans

Size: 15-25 lbs 
Life expectancy: 15 years
Grooming: Easy to groom. Twice per year, with brushing
Shedding: Little to no shedding

Pros
Easy to train
Loves companionship
Will do OK without a yard

Cons
Likes to dig and bark

The barking could be an issue if it's really an obsessive trait. I don't know if it's that bad though. I also wonder if it's too girly looking. That's what you're all here for though. Let us know in the comments and please vote in the poll, as always.

Sources: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/westhighland.htm

***If you would like to recommend another dog, please leave a comment below***

3 comments:

  1. hey brian! This is Nikki Marotta from Reading High. Long time no talk : ) Happened to come across your little experiment on fb and thought I'd chime in. I've had a male westie for about ten years and he is like a member of the family. TONS of personality and energy. He barely sheds and is easy to groom. Very intelligent and very trainable. (although I will say the one thing we haven't been able to correct his dislike of the mailman haha.) Other than that he is very good with strangers who come over. They can be a little sensitive around very young children, but this is something my dog has gotten better with as he's aged. Also, as far as looking girly, my westie looks nothing like the one in the picture here. They have very few health complications and make great companions. I'd definitely recommend getting one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie and Brian,

    I had a Westie! It's Meredith Galante. I named him Westie (yes I was a very original 10 year old).

    My westie was a male, he lived for 13 years, passed away on his own in December. What a good dog! Definitely a terrier, and a bit of a barker. But he was so loveable. He always greeted us in the morning. I know this is NOT what you guys are thinking but ... we got the dog and then my mom got pregnant and he was so good with the new baby and he alerted us whenever Andrew was crying. He didn't get jealous or try to attack the baby (like some dogs do) so I'm sure a Westie would be good in parks etc.

    Westies are better than scotties -- they are grumpy. My westie didn't look like that either -- mine looked like this http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://hazzel.nettisivu.org/files/2010/06/westie-301.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cassiatoraseed.com/white-westies-puppies&usg=__CR9C9dJMTi3nM_29s-4qvYy9aCU=&h=1024&w=1280&sz=213&hl=en&start=37&sig2=j2UH8IMUf3KzErxfn5Q51w&zoom=1&tbnid=fLz20VmPlDRG1M:&tbnh=112&tbnw=140&ei=1faxTbWsApHKiAKb5ZyvBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwesties%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1R1GGLL_en___US393%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D546%26tbm%3Disch0%2C1055&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=247&page=3&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:37&tx=90&ty=35&biw=1024&bih=546

    I vote this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh DUH i posted the same pic as above -- it's not the side one thou! hahah

    -MKG

    ReplyDelete