Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Brian and Lesley are getting a puppy

Thanks for stopping by "Crowdsourcing a puppy." Here's what you're getting yourself into.

Lesley and I live in an apartment in Old Town Alexandria, and we are going to get our first dog by the end of the summer. I've had dogs all my life, but this is Lesley's first real pet - sorry, but guinea pigs do not count.

About the blog
We're asking you - our friends, family and random Internet strangers (sounds creepy) - to help us pick the perfect dog. We'll give you some starting points and some general specifications to follow, but we're open to any and all suggestions.

The idea is we will post a picture of a dog we have in mind, then list some pros and cons I've found from the Internet about the breed. We would love for you to post comments after the entry with your thoughts - whether or not you like the dog, hate the dog, or think some of the information we have is not accurate. Trust me, if you know a dog is a real terror and the Internet doesn't tell us that, WE WANT TO KNOW.

We'll also list periodic polls on the side so we can start to narrow down the list as the weeks go by.

In my next post I'll list some specifications we have in mind - size, behavior, etc. - but like I said before, nothing is set in stone. If you think we should get a golden retriever instead of a bulldog, tell us why. Maybe your dog will be the one we pick.

If you want to contribute a "guest post" with a dog we haven't considered, just shoot me an e-mail at brian.tahmosh@gmail.com and I will gladly give you access to the blog.

Thanks in advance for your help, and we look forward to reading all your recommendations and seeing your votes on the polls.

4 comments:

  1. Brian its Leigh from high school! Yay on getting a puppy!! Im gonna sound like a nerd writing all this but i love dogs sooo here we go...
    I would first look into shelters/rescues because if you BUY a puppy from a pet store and sometimes even a breeder they are inbred causing significant health problems! Also they need loving homes more than anyone! Keep in mind muts are great dogs too, they do not have to be purebred :)
    As far as breeds go, it depends on what you want! Very active? Slightly Active? Or couch potato...as well as how much grooming you need. Minimal care to needing a groomer once a month. Dogs to definitely stay away from: Akitas, Chihuahuas and Dalmations. Everyone thinks pitbulls you need to stay away from but im telling you I would take a pit over any of those dogs I just mentioned. Beagles are also not a good choice as to they are a little bit noisy. I have had two boxers and multiple friends with boxers and I personally do not think there is a better breed. Pretty active (loves to run and play) Likes to cuddle as well, the BEST with little kids, minimal grooming hardly any barking. The only downside of boxers which is not too bad is they are the breed that stays like puppies for the longest time. Lots of chew toys and things to keep them busy when you are not around. I know a couple of good shelter/rescue sites if you are interested, dont buy... you will litterally be buying a dog with diseases and not help stopping puppy mills! Good Luck!So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest a Puggle (Pug/Beagle). I got one (his name is Halsey) in January. He's always happy and easy to take care of. I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and he really doesn't require more space than that. He was potty trained (wee wee pads) within the first week. He loves going outside as much as possible, but can handle staying inside too (for example, if it's a rainy day and we can't go out). He loves playing with his toys and following me around. All he ever wants is love and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQnrKvOTNg
    adorbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's too friggin cute. What kind of dog is that?

    ReplyDelete